Content with impact
Oxford University Press is driven by a mission of excellence in research, scholarship, and education. Following the release of the Journal Citation Reports (Web of Science Group, 2019), OUP is delighted to confirm that we now publish 286 titles receiving an Impact Factor, with 144 journals receiving an increase in their Impact Factor.
- 20.6% of OUP journals rank in the top 10% of at least one subject category
- 46.2% of OUP journals rank in the top 25% of at least one subject category
- 50.3% of journals receiving an Impact Factor saw an increase on their previous Impact Factors
- OUP journals rank #1 in 8 categories
- First Impact Factors were awarded to 11 OUP titles with the 2018 Impact Factor release
Subject level highlights:
- Number 1s: European Heart Journal has retained its #1 ranking in the Cardiac & Cardiovascular Systems category and The Journals of Gerontology, Series A: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences has retained its #1 ranking in the Gerontology category. Human Reproduction Update is ranked #1 in two categories: Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology.
- Top rankings: The Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association (4.292) is ranked #3 in the Medical Informatics category. Advances in Nutrition (7.240) is ranked #3 and The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (6.568) is ranked #5 in the Nutrition & Dietetics category. International Journal of Epidemiology is ranked #6 in the Public, Environmental & Occupational Health category. Brain (11.814) and Neuro-Oncology (10.091) are ranked #6 and #8 in the Clinical Neurology category, respectively. Three OUP titles hold the #9 spot in the following categories: Journal of Crohn’s and Colitis (7.827) in Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Schizophrenia Bulletin (7.289) in Psychiatry, and Age and Ageing (4.511) in Geriatrics & Gerontology. Neurosurgery (4.605) is ranked #11 in the Surgery category. Cardiovascular Research (7.014) is now ranked #12 in the Cardiac & Cardiovascular Systems category.
- Impressive increases: The Journal of Travel Medicine saw a significant increase in its Impact Factor, from 1.800 to 4.155. Aesthetic Surgery Journal’s Impact Factor increased from 2.824 to 3.480.
- New entries: Evolution, Medicine, and Public Health (4.400), European Heart Journal – Cardiovascular Pharmacotherapy (6.723), and Clinical Kidney Journal: Clinical and Translational Nephrology (ckj) (2.975) all received their first Impact Factors.
- Number 1s: Briefings in Bioinformatics (9.101) holds the top spot in the Mathematical & Computational Biology category. The Condor (2.804) is ranked #1 in the Ornithology category.
- Top rankings: The Auk (2.659) is ranked #2 in the Ornithology category. Molecular Biology and Evolution, which had its Impact Factor increase from 10.217 to 14.797, is ranked #2 in the Evolutionary Biology category, #4 in the Genetics & Heredity category, and #5 in the Biochemistry & Molecular Biology category. National Science Review, which saw its Impact Factor increase from 9.408 to 13.222, is ranked #3 in the Multidisciplinary Sciences category. The ICES Journal of Marine Science is ranked #5 in the Fisheries category after receiving its highest ever Impact Factor of 3.367. Medical Mycology (2.851) is ranked #5 in the Veterinary Sciences category. Integrative and Comparative Biology (3.101), the Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society (2.909), and Behavioral Ecology (2.695) are ranked #8, #10, and #12 in the Zoology category, respectively. Conservation Physiology (3.634) is ranked #9 in the Biodiversity Conservation category.
- Impressive increases: The Journal of Analytical Toxicology’s Impact Factor increased from 2.599 to 3.150 and the Journal of Chromatographic Science’s Impact Factor increased from 1.037 to 1.216. The IMA Journal of Numerical Analysis had an Impact Factor increase from 1.837 to 2.397. Biostatistics had an Impact Factor increase from 1.504 to 2.050. The Journal of Plankton Research’s Impact Factor increased from 1.897 to 2.209. Systematic Biology saw its Impact Factor increase from 8.523 to 10.266.
- New entries: Animal Frontiers (1.984), Journal of Integrated Pest Management (2.333), Regenerative Biomaterials (3.382), and Virus Evolution (5.408) all received their first Impact Factors with the 2018 Impact Factor release.
- Number 1s: The Quarterly Journal of Economics has retained its #1 ranking in the Economics category for a third consecutive year with an impressive Impact Factor increase from 7.863 to 11.775. In the Communication category, the Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication retains its #1 spot with an increased Impact Factor of 4.896.
- Top rankings: OUP publishes four more journals ranked in the top 10 of the Communications category. The Journal of Communication, Human Communication Research, Communication Theory, and Public Opinion Quarterly hold the #5, #6, #8, and #10 spots in the category, respectively. The Review of Financial Studies (4.975) ranks #2 in the Business, Finance category and is ranked #12 in the Economics category. The Review of Environmental Economics and Policy (6.649) is ranked #3 in the Economics category and #7 in the Environmental Studies category. The journal had an Impact Factor increase from 4.419 to 6.649. African Affairs ranks #4 in the Area Studies category. International Affairs (3.748) is ranked #5 in the International Relations category and The Chinese Journal of International Politics (2.344) is ranked #15 in that category.
- Impressive increases: The Journal of the European Economic Association saw its Impact Factor increase from 2.975 to 3.296.
- Impressive increases: The Journal of Legal Analysis saw its Impact Factor increase from 1.545 to 1.941.
- New entries: First Impact Factors were awarded to 4 OUP law titles with the 2018 Impact Factor release. The Journal of International Dispute Settlement (1.638), ICSID Review – Foreign Investment Law Journal (1.297), and Human Rights Law Review (1.175) all received their first Impact Factors. With its first Impact Factor of 2.431, the Journal of Law and the Biosciences ranks #3 in the both the Medical Ethics and Medicine, Legal categories. The journal also ranks #6 in the Ethics category and #14 in the Law category.
- Top rankings: The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science (1.768) ranks #4 in the History & Philosophy of Science category. Applied Linguistics (3.041) ranks #5 in the Linguistics category. Diplomatic History, with an Impact Factor increase from .405 to .841, is ranked #14 in the History category.